Welcome to Drawing From Observation!
All Drawing From Observation products are shipped by third party service provider, The Courier Guy (TCG).
Please read our terms and conditions of carriage very carefully. Take note TCG’s LIABILITY IS EXCLUDED as well as that of its employees or agents for loss, damage and delay in certain circumstances. TCG’S LIABILITY IS LIMITED to stated amounts where liability is accepted. STRICT TIME LIMITS apply where NOTICE OF CLAIMS is required. It is your duty to obtain insurance cover to protect your interests.
Interpretation & definitions
“Conditions” means these Conditions of Carriage as set out in this document and published in printed form and electronically at thecourierguy.co.za , www.drawingclasses.co.za as amended from time to time;
- “Courier” means the person and/or corporate entity specified on the face of the invoice;
- “Goods” means the items accepted by TCG for carriage on behalf of the the Sender under these Conditions;
- “Owner’s Risk” means the Courier shall not be liable for any loss of or damage to any Goods, howsoever arising, except if the loss or damage is caused by the Courier intentionally;
- “Recipient” means the person to whom the Goods are to be delivered under these Conditions;
- “Services” means all of the operations and services provided or to be provided by the Courier in connection with the carriage of the Goods including without limitation, the carriage, transport and/or storage of the Goods or any operation/s or service/s incidental to any of them;
- “Sender” means the person for whom the carriage of the Goods is performed by the Courier under these Conditions;
- “Sub-Contractor” means includes any person who under a contract or arrangement with any other person (whether the Courier or not) performs or agrees to perform the Services or any part of the services;
- Words denoting, the singular include the plural and vice versa; any gender include the other genders, and persons include corporations and bodies politic and include their legal personal representatives and assigns.
Conditions of shipping
TCG shall not be a public or common carrier in relation to the carriage of goods forming the subject of these conditions and any goods carried are accepted subject to the conditions herein.
These conditions supersede all previous published terms and conditions. These conditions supplement and detail the general terms and conditions on the back of TCG waybills and other publications. In case of conflict between these conditions and the conditions on any TCG waybill, manifest, shipping label or other transit documentation, these conditions govern to the extent that they do not conflict with the mandatory rules relating to liability for carriage provided by the laws of South Africa.
TCG reserves the right to unilaterally modify, amend, change or supplement these conditions without notice. No amendment or consensual cancellation and/or variation of any of the provisions or terms hereof and no extension of time or waiver or relaxation of any provisions of this agreement shall be binding unless recorded in a written document signed by a duly authorised director of TCG and a duly authorised representative of the Customer.
All business undertaken including guidance, information or service provided by TCG shall be subject to the conditions set out and each condition shall be deemed to be incorporated in and to be a condition of this Agreement between TCG and the Sender of the goods.
The Sender confirms that it does not rely upon or claim any other terms, warranties, conditions or representations relating to the use of the services under this Agreement. The Sender will be bound by the signature of any of its employees, servants and agents on the TCG Waybill. Goods are accepted subject to the conditions stipulated by all other carriers, sub-contractors, handlers and any other parties into whose possession or custody they may pass to finalize and deliver goods that come into their possession.
Under no circumstances shall any strict liability attach to TCG.
TCG reserves the right to transport the goods received from any Customer and/or the Sender by any means at its disposal and may use any carrier to perform its duties. All goods that require forwarding to facilitate delivery may be held at TCG’s discretion and the Customer and/or the Sender’s cost until suitable delivery arrangements can be arranged. TCG is entitled to use independent parties to perform any of the functions required for completion of its duties. TCG shall have no responsibility or liability to the Customer and/or the Sender for any act, or omission of such third party even though TCG may be responsible for the payment for such third parties charges. TCG however reserves the right to, at its sole election, take action on behalf of the Customer and/or the Sender should the independent carrier fail to carry out its duties suitably. The costs associated with taking such action would be for the account of the Customer and/or the Sender and are payable on demand.
The customer shall be obliged to give any instructions to TCG timeously and in writing in order to afford TCG a reasonable opportunity to comply with such instructions, but TCG shall be entitled, but not obliged, to act on oral instructions alone. If there is a conflict between any oral or written instructions or between the various written instructions themselves, or in the absence of instructions, TCG shall determine the course to be adopted, in its sole discretion, having regard to the Customers known requirements, if any, and if not it is recorded that Overnight Service shall be the default service selected. Notwithstanding that TCG may purport or attempt to act on any instructions, no liability shall attach to TCG for failure, whether negligent or otherwise, to perform such instructions. TCG shall be entitled to recover its charges and/or expenses including those incurred acting in terms hereof.
Tariffs & Quotations
All quotations, rates, tariffs and surcharges are subject to withdrawal or revision by TCG at any time. TCG shall be at liberty to revise all quotations, rates, tariffs or surcharges with or without noticing cases where TCG’s costs are affected by any of its suppliers and may do so without notice to the Customer. Charges are calculated on the basis of either actual or volumetric mass, and for purposes of rating, the greater of the two calculations is deemed to be the chargeable mass for the purposes of measuring the volume, mass and/or dimensions of any package. The measurements as calculated by the dimensions machinery and/or company representative will be regarded as conclusive proof of the volume, mass and/or dimensions of the package so measured. Only written quotations provided by TCG will be valid.
Collections of goods
If any goods have not been accepted or collected by the Recipient and/or its nominee within a reasonable time after the tender thereof, and for the purposes thereof notification to the Recipient and/or its nominee of the fact that the goods are available for collection or that TCG is willing to deliver the goods shall be deemed to be a good and sufficient tender, TCG shall notify the Customer at its legal address (domicilium citandi et executandi) and, after the expiration of ten (10) days from the posting to that address of such written notice and unless the Customer shall give TCG instructions to redeliver the goods, at the Customer’s expense, TCG shall be entitled and authorised irrevocably and in re suam, to sell or dispose of the goods and retain from the proceeds the charges, expenses and costs incurred in the carriage thereof.
TCG’S LIEN AND OTHER RIGHTS IN TERMS OF GOODS IN TCG’S POSSESSION
TCG and /or its nominee reserve the right to open and examine any goods tendered to fulfil security obligations at any time. TCG shall have a lien and shall be entitled to hold any goods, documents and/or any refunds, claims or recoveries in its possession or under its control as security for any monies owing to TCG by the Customer, whether past or present, for the courier of any goods subject to these terms and conditions of carriage; Although TCG may initially have granted credit to the Customer, TCG may at any time, at its sole discretion, retain possession of any goods pending the discharge of the Customer’s indebtedness to TCG, whether or not such indebtedness relates to the courier of the goods retained in possession or not; In the event that TCG exercises its lien and retains possession of any goods as reflected herein above, then TCG shall be entitled to store the goods at such place as it deems fit, at the Customer’s expense; If any monies owing to TCG are not paid by the Customer within 30 (thirty) days after they are due, TCG shall be entitled, without further notice to the Customer: to open and examine the goods; to sell the whole or any part of the goods in such manner and on such conditions as it deems fit; to apply the proceeds of any sale, after deducting all expenses thereof, in payment or reduction of any amount due by the Customer to TCG (including storage costs envisaged in 3 here above, provided that any surplus shall be paid over to the Customer without interest immediately after the sale, if the Customer’s address is known, and if not, upon demand made by the Customer within 90 (ninety) days of the sale; TCG shall not be liable for any loss, damage or deterioration of any such goods attributable to the implementation of this clause; TCG’s rights under this clause are not exhaustive and are in addition to any other rights which it may have against the Customer. If it is necessary for an examination to be conducted by TCG in respect of any discrepancy in the goods which are landed from any vessel, aircraft, vehicle or container, the responsibility to comply with any regulations, laws and/or obligations pertaining to the goods remains that of the Customer and/or the Sender, notwithstanding the contractual relationship between TCG and Customer and/or the Sender.
Delivery of goods
The onus of establishing the conditions of the goods at the time of delivery thereof by TCG shall rest with the Customer and/or the Sender. Without limiting the generality of the aforegoing, TCG shall be entitled to delay the dispatch of any goods or expedite the date of dispatch if they, in the sole discretion of TCG, consider it necessary for the safety of the goods or if, in the sole discretion of TCG, there is a backlog of goods with higher priority and/or any other reason. TCG will only deliver goods that are the property of the Customer and/or the Sender and the Customer and/or the Sender warrants that it is authorised to accept and its accepting these conditions not only on behalf of itself, but also as agent for and on behalf of all other persons who are or may become interested in the goods. The Customer and/or the Sender hereby undertake to indemnify TCG against any damages, costs and expenses resulting from any breach of this warrantee.
TCG shall not be liable for any loss or damage to the goods. Where Customers lodge a claim and TCG chooses to accept limited liability as specified herein, then and in such a case, no such claim shall be considered unless the Customer and/or Sender lodges a claim in writing within 48 hours after delivery of the goods to the Recipient (see INSURANCE AND ASSUMPTION OF LIABILITY below). We reiterate claims received after this time period will not be considered.
Further to the above:
- The Company’s liability shall not exceed R1,000 (ONE THOUSAND RAND) per Consignment;
- TCG shall not be liable for indirect or consequential loss or damage to any consignment;
- TCG shall not be liable whatsoever for any loss or damages howsoever arising in respect of late or non-delivery of any goods.
Loss or damage to goods
No responsibility or liability whatsoever shall attach to TCG or its employees for any loss or damage to goods unless such loss or damage:
- Occurs whilst the goods are in actual care, custody and control of TCG;
- Is due to the negligence, intentional and/or willful act or default of TCG or its employees.
- TCG shall under no circumstances be liable for:
- Loss or damage incurred through goods being tendered with inadequate packaging and packing;
- Any loss or damage whatsoever caused by the perishable, fragile or brittle nature of the goods and packaging;
- Loss or damage to any parcel exceeding the prescribed size or weight limitations being 1mx1mx1m, and 50kgs.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained or implied in this clause 11 (eleven), No assumption of liability by TCG is extended to the following: mechanical or electrical goods unless contained in brand new and original packaging. Antiques or antiquities of any description, arms, ammunition, live animals of any description, bank and treasury notes, bullion, bulk cargo of any description, cash, deeds, designs, documents, explosives, furs, gold bullion, silver nuggets, models, molds, patterns, plans, precious metals, specie, travelers cheques, brass and scrap metal, seafood, fresh produce, frozen goods, aircraft unless TCG agrees in writing prior to the goods being tendered to accept liability for the handling of the items listed in this clause.
- If TCG is for any reason unable to effect delivery of the goods, reasonable steps would be taken to return the goods to the Customer and/or the Sender. The Customer and/or the Sender shall be responsible for the costs of carriage, attempted delivery and return of the goods.
Insurance & Assumption of liability
TCG does not provide insurance to the Customer. However, subject to the terms and conditions herein and only in particular stated instances, TCG will assume liability for any loss suffered by a Customer in respect of the items specified in the waybill subject to an additional charge being levied in respect thereof, and provided further that the Customer has indicated specifically that such assumption of liability is required.
In the event that the Customer has indicated on the waybill that assumption of liability is required, an additional fee shall be charged for assumption of liability which shall be payable by the Sender /Customer to TCG as follows;
In the event that the Customer has indicated on the waybill that assumption of liability by TCG is required but no value is declared on the waybill or otherwise, a fee in the amount of R 50.00 shall be charged for the assumption of liability by TCG to the value of an amount not exceeding R2,500.00 (TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED RAND); In the event that the Customer has indicated on the waybill that assumption of liability by TCG is required and the declared value exceeds R2,500.00 (TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED RAND), the fee charged for assumption of liability by TCG shall be 2% of the declared value but not exceeding R30,000.00 (THIRTY THOUSAND RAND). Prepaid Customers shall automatically receive the benefit of TCG assuming liability to the value of an amount not exceeding R1,000.00 (ONE THOUSAND RAND) at no extra fee charged;
In the event that a Prepaid Customer has indicated that assumption of liability is required and the declared value exceeds R1,000.00 (ONE THOUSAND RAND) the fee charged for assumption of liability by TCG shall be 2% of the declared value.
- TCG is not responsible for the packaging of the customer’s parcel/s and shall not, under any circumstances be liable for any loss or damage to a parcel/s which was not adequately and appropriately packaged to withstand the ordinary rigors and risk of courier transit and road transportation. TCG shall not courier or accept liability for any parcel exceeding the prescribed size limitation being 1m x 1m x 1m and 50kgs.
- TCG is not responsible for ordinary loss in weight or volume or ordinary wear and tear of the consignment.
- TCG is not responsible for loss, damage or expense caused by delay, even though the delay caused by a risk insured against.
- Claims shall only be considered if the waybill has been endorsed, i.e. confirming the damage / loss on delivery or endorsed to read “not unpacked and checked”.
- The Customer and/or Sender shall advise TCG in writing, strictly within 48 hours, of the damaged / lost or stolen goods being delivered/or expected to receive, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No claims will be entertained if not received within the 48 hour notice period.
- TCG’s assumption of liability for the declared value of any one parcel, shall not exceed R30,000.00 (THIRTY THOUSAND RAND).
- In the event that the declared value exceeds R30,000.00, special arrangements must be made with TCG. The declared value must be substantiated, by a purchase invoice or an up to date valuation certificate from a professional valuator.
- No assumption of liability by TCG is extended to the following: mechanical or electrical goods unless in brand new and original packaging. Antiques or antiquities of any description, arms, ammunition, live animals of any description, bank and treasury notes, bullion, bulk cargo of any description, cash, deeds, designs, documents, explosives, furs, gold bullion, silver nuggets, models, molds, patterns, plans, precious metals, specie, travelers cheques, brass and scrap metal, seafood, fresh produce, frozen goods, aircraft.
- All charges, including the fees charged, owing to TCG in respect of the assumption of liability will be payable to TCG as per the conditions of payment laid out in these
- conditions of carriage.
In the event of the customer wanting to lodge a claim:
The damaged goods must be returned to TCG together with the original invoice reflecting the purchase price (proof of value) of the item. These are required for assessment and/or salvage prior to consideration of a claim. Should the damaged goods and proof of value of item/s not be received by TCG, TCG shall not be obligated to honour its limited assumption of liability.
The customer shall be responsible for the first amount or excess amount as follows:
- In the event of a hi-jack or theft a minimum of 15% of the declared value will be charged.
- In the event of loss due to non-hi-jack or no theft a minimum of 10% (TEN PERCENT) of the declared value will for charged.
- The excess will automatically be deducted prior to settlement.
These terms and conditions (which by inference includes those agreements and conventions expressly referred to herein) constitute the entire agreement between the parties and shall prevail over, exclude and supersede any other terms or conditions, stipulations, warranties, statements of fact or opinion or representations, oral or written, whatsoever have been made or relied upon by either party other than as specifically included herein. The Sender expressly confirms that it does not rely upon or claim any other terms, warranties, conditions or representations relating to the use of TCG’s services under these terms and conditions.